Why Now?

I've finally decided to start blogging about our family. What prompted it? Mostly Mike's deployment to Iraq. The best part of our day together is telling all the funny, sweet and interesting things the kids did that day. This is the best way to share that. I will be trying my best to keep it current, but it isn't easy being all things to all people in this house while Mike is away!

Friday, February 18, 2011

Family Reunited

Sorry for the long break between posts. We have been really careful stewards of our time during this reintegration process and I now have some time to blog. It is really hard to put into words the airport arrival, his first "visit" to the house (as Ella said, "Is daddy coming to visit?"), interacting with him and the children and just having his presence again in the home. Those who have experienced a deployment or long absence of a spouse can probably understand; it is an anxious, nervous, joyful, stressful and altogether very overwhelming experience. Trying to keep your expectations in check. Relinquishing control of responsibilities. And in a way getting to know again your best friend, the only person in the world who knows you the best, but in some ways has become a bit of a stranger. Again, I must give all the credit to God. We have had a few bumps in the road, but it has been a smooth transition. At times it even seems as if it was in the distant past. Ella has transformed back into a joyful, less temperamental (as much as a 4 year old girl can be) and content little girl. Grant now saves some of his famous smiles for daddy, of which I am happy to share. Even Gracie the dog is more content. And I am on the road to becoming me again. I tell Mike that this deployment has possibly taken a year or two off my life! For sure the gray hairs on my head have exploded. More than anything, it has made me appreciate having a husband, not just any husband but one that puts his wife and family at the top of his priority list. We are confident to see fruit from this experience in the months and years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment